Summer is all about grilling and salads. My favorite summer salad is potato salad. What could be better than a grilled potato salad? This version is light, colorful and tasty. You get the nice char of the grilled potatoes, onion and fennel. The reds of the potatoes and onions contrast with the light green of the fennel and avocado vinaigrette. The kick of the mustard and vinegar and the licorice bite of the fennel and tarragon play against the cool, smooth taste of the avocado.
I actually used a mix of fingerlings instead of the red potatoes. I like the salad chilled, but it could be served warm right away. You could add some flavor and crunch (and calories) by adding some crumbled bacon.
1 1/2 lb. Red potatoes
1 medium Red Onion
1/2 bulb Fennel
Fresh Ground Pepper
1/2 of an Avocado
1/4 cup Olive oil
2 tsp Dijon Mustard
2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Shallot, diced
2 cloves Garlic
1 tsp Thyme, chopped
2 tsp Tarragon, chopped
1) Slice potatoes, parboil for 10 minutes, toss with Olive Oil. Grill until just tender.
2) Slice Red Onions and halve fennel bulb, brush with Olive Oil, sprinkle with Kosher salt. Grill slightly.
3) Rustic chop potatoes, onion and fennel and place in serving bowl.
4) In a food processor, purée Avocado, Olive Oil, Dijon Mustard, Vinegar, Shallot, Garlic, Thyme and Tarragon until smooth.
5) Add Avocado Dijon Vinaigrette to serving bowl and toss with potatoes salad
6) Salt and Pepper to taste.
7) Chill, garnish with fennel fronds and serve.