This is an easy, healthy and tasty accompaniment to any entrée. The Farro is toasty and crunchy. The Black Truffle Oil ties the Farro mixture well with the mushrooms. The Mushrooms are moist and earthy.
You can substitute any herbs or cheeses in the below. I used mint, because I served it as a sidedish to grilled lamb chops with a mint/za’atar aioli. I used the four cheese blend, because I happened to have it in the frig.
Brush your mushrooms with some EVOO or marinate them in your favorite marinade before cooking. I marinated mine in Chiavetta’s Barbecue Marinade, a Buffalo NY product. It’s amazing. I use it all the time. If you cannot buy it locally, it is available on Amazon or directly from Chiavetta’s Catering. I highly recommend it.
A word on salting your Farro water: Michael Ruhlman points out in his book “Ruhlman’s Twenty” that adding salt to your boiling water is not done to enhance the boiling process. It is done to flavor whatever is being cooked in the water; in this case, the Farro. Most cooks add a scant pinch of salt to the water and that seasons nothing. Add generous salt to your boiling water. You will be amazed at the difference it makes in the finished product.
1 cup Farro
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 cups water
2 tsp Black Truffle Oil
1/2 tsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh Chives, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh Mint leaves, chopped
Salt and Pepper, to taste
4 Portobello Mushroom caps
Blend of shredded Mozzarella, Parmesan, Romano and Asiago Cheeses
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add Farro and sauté until the Farro is fragrant and starts to brown.
3. Add water and salt to the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until Farro is al dente.
4. Strain Farro and add to mixing bowl.
5. Add Truffle Oil, Rosemary, Chives and Mint to bowl with Farro and mix.
6. Salt and Pepper, to taste.
7. Grill Portobello Mushrooms over high heat for 7-10 minutes.
8. Move Mushrooms to indirect heat with the gill side up. Spoon in Farro/Herb mixture. Top with shredded cheese and continue to cook until the cheese melts and slightly browns.
9. Serve immediately.