Why cauliflower cream? It’s lower in calories that a Béchamel Sauce. It’s neutral in taste so takes well to additions like cheese. It’s healthy. And it’s different.
I have done quite a bit of experimentation substituting fat-free Greek Yogurt for white sauces with a consistent result: The sauce separates and ends up runny with clumpy cheese. Cauliflower cream solves this issue while remaining fat-free.
I used the above sauce in a Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna. I also plan on using some in a lower calorie Macaroni and Cheese. You can substitute cauliflower cream in any recipe that calls for a white sauce except maybe a gravy.
The process is easy.
1 head cauliflower
1) Wash and chop a head of cauliflower.
2) Place cauliflower florets into salted water and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender.
4) Drain cauliflower reserving 2 cups of the cooking liquid
5) In a food processor, puree cauliflower adding reserved liquid, as needed, to desired consistency